Designing a Modular Industrial Gateway
A Modular Industrial Gateway is specifically tuned and designed for industrial environments and IoT applications. Like any other IoT Gateway design that operate at the edge of the network, an IoT Industrial Gateway connects devices and resources in the local network environment with remote assets for information/ data collection and aggregation. The modular Industrial Gateway can link systems employing diverse network protocols, while often providing on-board processing to secure, filter and manage complex data flows.
These IoT based edge devices can receive data flows from hundreds of individual sensors, and other devices – over network schemes like Ethernet, Wi-Fi and Bluetooth and funnel them to the network edge where the data can be processed or transmitted. This Modular Industrial Gateway Design case study showcases Mistral’s expertise in providing end-to-end product design and development of various Industrial Automation solutions, in this case, an Industrial IoT Gateway Design.
The customer is one of the leading companies of the industrial sector that manufactures devices and software with next generation production systems like Modular Industrial Gateway and Energy Meters. The company provides turnkey solutions for monitoring the productivity potential of industrial sites and commercial buildings.
IoT Industrial Gateway Design – Requirement
The customer approached Mistral to design and develop a Linux based Modular Industrial Gateway. They were looking to build an Industrial Gateway / RTU / IoT Gateway Design which would capture industrial parameters like temperature and pressure while generating notifications if the parameters cross a defined upper or lower limit. The main features of the Modular Industrial Gateway design are:
- The Industrial IoT Gateway Design had to gather or deliver data over MODBUS protocol and IEC62056-2 with a Web based GUI for Configuration and Monitoring
- The Modular Industrial Gateway had to be compliant to multiple safety and security certifications and regulations (EN 55022, EN 55024, IEC 61000)
- Had to Event-based logging functionality
- Automatic SMS and e-mail notification triggered by defined alarms
- Configuration and Monitoring support through Modbus TCP
- The IoT Gateway design had to consist of an Automatic Meter Reading Web-service Client
- Had to support for both 2G and 3G GSM, GPRS Interface
- Connection to Open VPN servers
- Connect to VPN servers supporting PPTP and IPSec
- SNMP support, trap broadcast
- Multiple digital / analog input and output interface support
- Support for multiple types of RTDs
- DIN2 enclosure
- The Industrial Gateway had to supports Modbus Slave RTU devices
- Multi Language support
- Supporting role based multi-user and multi session.
Industrial IoT Gateway Design Provided
Mistral developed the complete Modular Industrial Gateway design, managing the entire product development cycle from concept to production. The Industrial Gateway design and development services offered by Mistral included, hardware design, porting of Linux, web-based UI development, middleware development and product qualification. The IoT Gateway design is built around Texas Instruments Sitara processor with following features:
- Eight Analog inputs and Two Analog outputs
- Two RTD inputs
- Eight Digital IOs
- Four Relay controls
- Quad Band and 3G Data connectivity
- Operating supply range: 9-36V
- Operating temperature range of -20 C to 70 C
The initial Industrial IoT Gateway Design was done on a reference platform, for early software development. Mistral used this development platform as a reference design, customized it to meet the form factor requirements of the prototype and developed the solution.
The Web based/GUI was developed for configuration and monitoring the Industrial Gateway Design. Based on the parameters defined, the Industrial Gateway provides alarms and notifications to the user. Mistral designed the Modular Industrial Gateway or IoT Gateway Design in two stages – First w.r.t functional completion that includes design, development. The second stage covered the Certifications and production worthiness activities of the Industrial Gateway Design.
Industrial Gateway certifications
The Industrial IoT Gateway Design was made compliant to all the below standards:
- Radiated Emission and Conducted Emission as per EN55022 Class A
- Radiated Susceptibility as per IEC 61000-4-3 Level 2
- Conducted Susceptibility as per IEC 61000-4-6 Level 2
- ESD Immunity as per IEC 61000-4-2 Level 2
- EFT Immunity as per IEC 61000-4-4 Level 2
- Surge Immunity as per IEC 61000-4-5 Level 2
- Power Frequency Magnetic field Immunity as per IEC 61000-4-8 Level
- 1Power DIP as per IEC 61000-4-11
- General EMI/EMC guidelines along with additional protection diodes were used during design and layout of the Industrial Gateway to make sure that these standards meet the desired results.
- Mistral’s team worked on the complete product design of the Smart Modular Industrial Gateway including developing UI and certifications
- The IoT Gateway design adhered to all safety and security standards
- Mistral ensured uniform device input/output calibration which required high precision and accuracy
- Mistral achieved very high accuracy RTD inputs for the Modular Industrial Gateway which support all RTD types
- Interfacing Web and I/O drivers
- Modbus Device Scan Support for RS-485 ports
- Developed Analog In and RTD calibration application.
Read the full case study about the IoT Gateway Design to know more about Industrial Gateway Web application and I/O Drivers implemented, Embedded Database and more.