Design and Implementation of an Unmanned Autonomous Navigation System
This case study showcases Mistral’s expertise in designing, development and implementation of an Unmanned Autonomous Navigation System (Autonomous Navigation System Vehicle Design) fitted with multiple sensors like LIDAR, RADAR, Ultrasonic, and Ambient light to observe and cognize the environment around it. The autonomous navigation system is empowered to drive itself autonomously on a predefined course or controlled remotely.
An Autonomous Navigation System can run independent of a human operator. It depends on a set of sensors to observe and cognize the environment around it. An Autonomous Navigation System is operated using a drive-by-wire technology. The Autonomous Navigation System can be used for surveillance and real-time situational awareness in areas where it might be inconvenient, hostile or impossible to have a human presence. The Autonomous Navigation System commands are generated by the vision & navigation algorithms in lieu of a human operator.
The customer is a leading Defense lab involved in the research of Information & Communication Technology and Development of Intelligent Systems such as an Autonomous Navigation System.
Building an Autonomous Navigation System
The customer was designing an Unmanned Ground Vehicle and approached Mistral to develop the Autonomous Navigation Vehicle Design to be used for various security & surveillance operations. The requirements for the Autonomous Navigation vehicle were:
- Rugged all-terrain vehicle enabled with autonomous driving for perimeter surveillance
- The Autonomous Navigation System would be ideal for 24×7 patrolling of vital installations with seamless Video Surveillance capability
- Had to act as the first response vehicle in a hostile environment
- Act as a Lead convoy vehicle
Mistral was entrusted with the complete Design and development of the Autonomous Navigation System, including integration of various sensors, software, mechanical outfits and components ensuring high protection from shock and vibration, and providing ruggedization for all weather, all-terrain operation.
Autonomous Navigation System – Solution Provided
Mistral partnered with one of leading electric vehicle manufacturers to custom design and develop the Autonomous Navigation system to suit customer specific requirements. Mistral developed a state-of-the-art Autonomous vehicle based on the customized vehicle platform and integrated electric motor controller, brake, parking, steering actuators and sensors to enable drive-by-wire.
The selected all-terrain Autonomous Navigation Vehicle Design was fitted with multiple sensors like LIDAR, RADAR, Ultrasonic, and Ambient light to observe and cognize the environment around it.
The Autonomous Navigation System is equipped with:
- GPS/INS sensor and RTK base-station for real-time positioning error correction
- Two wide angle cameras at the front and rear providing a 360 bird’s eye view
- Multiple cameras which assist in judgmental decision making and to act according to the situation and surroundings
- A PTZ camera and thermal Camera for seamless day/night Video surveillance
- Powerful embedded computers with graphics processor that run compute intensive navigational and visual algorithms.
The Design and development of the battery operated Autonomous Navigation System included:
- Installation and customization of an ROS (Robot Operating System) framework on ruggedized computational units
- Integrating the drive-by-wire actuators & sensors
- Integration of sensors module to ROS
- Integrating the navigational and visual algorithms
- Development of the Web based GIS system for defining the route maps, roads and building
- Development of web based applications to remotely configure and tele-operate the Autonomous vehicle
Read the full case study to know more about the Tracking, Surveillance and Communication setup that are integral part of the Autonomous Navigation System.